Distracted driving can result in fatalities and injuries. The CDC has reported nine deaths and thousands of injuries occurring daily due to distracted driving. Drivers must stay focused on the road when driving to protect themselves and the others around them.
If you or your loved ones have experienced injuries and damages caused by a distracted driver or if you have lost a loved one due to someone’s negligent driving, you can file a lawsuit against them. However, it is essential to consult a highly experienced and qualified distracted driving accident lawyer to build a strong case.
What Is Distracted Driving?
Distracted driving is negligence on the driver's part that includes failing to focus on the road while driving. Being distracted while driving drastically increases the chances of accidents as it reduces the driver's control of the vehicle.
There are many causes of distracted driving, including:
- Using cellphone
- Drinking or eating
- Frustration or anger
- Personal grooming
Things to Do After a Distracted Driving Accident
It can be devastating to be involved in a car accident caused by the negligence of others. Here are a few things you should do right after a distracted driving accident:
- Get immediate medical assistance even if you don’t see any visible wounds or are not in pain The injuries can be internal and can cause major issues later on
- Report it to the police and try to share as much information as you can
- Get the name, license plate number, and insurance details of the negligent party
- Gather contact details of any witnesses and note down if there are any nearby cameras
- Try to take pictures of the damage only if it is safe to do so, as this will help your lawyer in building the case
- Get in touch with an experienced lawyer
What Compensation Can you Receive in a Distracted Driving Lawsuit
A good distracted driving accident lawyer can help you get the best settlement or successful verdict, which may cover:
- Your medical bills and follow-up care
- Lost insurance benefits, employment opportunities, wages, and future work in case of permanent injuries that may affect your abilities and skills
- Property repair cost if your car and other belongings have been damaged
- Pain and suffering, including the emotional and mental impact caused by the accident
- Wrongful death compensation may include companionship loss and funeral services
- Punitive damages that are charged to punish the negligent driver
Book a Consultation with Fort Worth, TX Lawyer
Barrow Law has an experienced team of professionals specializing in distracted driving accidents. Our distracted driving lawyers in Ft. Worth are ready to assist you in filing the case and ensuring you receive the compensation you rightfully deserve for the damages, injuries, and pain and suffering. Give us a call for an initial consultation today!